So tonight I spent over four hours on homework (not consecutively) and this might sound crazy, but it was awesome. My brain is flowing with ideas for my dissertation and other research projects and it's rejuvenating. I think I have been so focused on counting down the days until I am done with course work to really enjoy what I am learning. And if I am not enjoying what I am learning, what is the point of being in school still? I have three months (give or take) to come up with a solid research question for my dissertation, so this is great timing! That is all I have for now! It's time to do some laundry and hit the hay!
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Sunday, January 8, 2012
This weekend has been very, very uneventful since I have been sick for most of it.
Friday was work, a long nap, date night with my husband (this consisted of simply picking up some food and watching a movie together on the couch since I felt like poo), and bed early.
Saturday I spent most of the day asleep on the couch with my Blossom. She definitely takes care of her momma when she is sick.
Today continued that trend...luckily I am starting to feel better, but not terrific yet.
Tomorrow brings on homework, half a day of work, funeral visitation, trip to sister-in-laws to drop off kids boots, and possibly a stop in at one of Chris's work buddies. I hope I can make it through all that with ease....Blossy is telling me it is bed time and wanting me to cuddle, so I better listen to her!
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
First days of class are always interesting....in both good and bad ways. I realized that one of the classes I was encouraged to take is almost identical to one I took while at USC. Luckily I found one that works with my schedule even better and is something new. Once I see the syllabus for this class, I will make my final decision.
And my life is always better after a good conversation with an awesome friend! It is amazing how two people's lives can collide and they become so very important to your life...even hundreds of miles away from one another.
So now it's time for some qt and bed....another day if work followed by class tomorrow....at least it's Wednesday-half way to the weekend!
Sunday, January 1, 2012
Something that always strikes me as intriguing is how a new year triggers the compulsion for new goals/resolutions. I always sort of forget about this part of the new year tradition until the ball has dropped and the end of the first day is almost over. I guess it's because I see them everywhere (yay for social networks!), or maybe I just need more time to decide what I can actually accomplish in the new year.
Accomplishing new things each year should be very easy for someone who LOVES to make lists...and cross things off as they are completed! However, if I'm going to be serious about a goal, then I need to put some really deep thought into it.
So after deep thought, I've come up with the following goals for 2012
1. Make sure to take time to actually get ready for bed....I sometimes forget to actually get ready for bed...like brush the teeth, wash the face, etc. This probably seems gross, but I know a lot of people who forget to do this. As I get older, it is seemingly more important to me. Do not know why, but it is.
2. No cheating on the gluten free diet. There are times when I get so frustrated and just give in to eating something with gluten in it. No more! I'm going to be 100% gluten free and try new recipes to add flavor!
3. Have a healthy balance between work, school, and fun. I tend to focus on one or the other and stress about it. I need to enjoy all three aspects. That way I can be a better wife, puppy mommy, student, and worker.
4. Sell more items in my etsy store. Slowly, but surely I am building up a solid stock of items-cards, blankets, scarves, and other fun crafty things. I just hope the hard work starts to pay off soon! I sold a total of 33 things in 2011, so my goal is 50 for 2012!
5. Get our will in place. This may seem, silly, but it is something we need to do as a couple. It will be more difficult once we start having children, so it will be nice to get a solid foundation!
6. Start (and finish) some home improvement projects. Now that Chris and I are a family, it's time to start thinking about redoing the decor around our condo.
7. Take Blossom on more/longer walks. She absolutely loves walks and they are definitely helpful for my health, so it makes sense to do. Will help me achieve a better balance as well!
8. Read more for fun. I get swept up in my school books that I forget how much I really like to read for fun! Not this year!
9. Plan and take a honeymoon trip. We're thinking Savannah, GA ( thanks Jenn!) but no definite plans have been made.
10. Make more trips to Dayton to see our handsome nephew and all three adorable nieces! It's definitely something we need to do and want to do!
11. Cook more/ different meals for my husband. Chris and I have different eating habits and tendencies, so it's definitely an adjustment for us both. Hopefully this year we can get into more of a compromise and eat at home more often :-)
12. It is only appropriate to have 12 goals since there are 12 months in the year....however the only other goal I have is to enjoy this year by growing closer to God and enjoy each and every day!
So there we have it folks! My goals / resolutions for this year!
The Prather family spent our first New Year's Eve being lazy and watching the ball drop...boring I know. But it was sweet and nice. Especially since Chris had to work yesterday and today.
We also are dog sitting for my parents since my dad got Gator Bowl tickets for Christmas. So far, Daisy has seemed to do okay, but I'm sure she'll sleep for a few days when she finally gets home and can shadow my mother!
|Daisy May Sleeping at our condo!|
That's all for now! Work starts back up tomorrow for me and school quickly follows by starting on Tuesday.... Oh what joys. Luckily there is only 20 weeks of school, a preliminary hearing, comprehensive exam, and dissertation standing in my way of achieving my PhD....only!
Saturday, December 3, 2011
I will say this is my favorite time of year (as it is most people's). I love the coziness of winter...fires, hot chocolate, scarves, gloves, blankets, gift buying, Christmas lights on in the evening, Christmas music and most of all getting ready to celebrate the birth of my Savior with family and friends. It's going to be our first Christmas together as a married couple and I'm super excited that we're having a candle light service at church! There's something so special about standing in a dark church, holding a candle, and singing Silent Night. This song always makes me cry because it makes my dad cry...it was Grandma Lashley's favorite Christmas song. But despite the tears, it's my favorite. It reminds me of the peace that God provides for us in the midst of the craziness...and Christmas can be one of the craziest times...
Well, my puppy is snoozing beside me on the couch, my husband is on his way home from work, and I still have a couple of things to finalize for tomorrow's lessons...so off we go to study the Lord's word and then watch some Christmas movies tonight :-)
I do wish I could go to the Opryland hotel and see the decorations...I'm missing Nashville and my friends from there (those who are there and those that have moved away)....
|Opryland Hotel Christmas 2005|
Friday, December 2, 2011
So it's time for Five Question Friday!!
1. What is your favorite Christmas decoration in your house?
Right now there are none, since school has been so crazy! But my favorite Christmas decorations are the stockings that get hung. I think these are so special because they're all different and made with love. I'd also have to say, I love Christmas trees! Ornaments of all kinds, lights that let off a peaceful glow...just amazing :-)
2. Do you finish your Christmas shopping early or are you a last minute type?
I usually finish my Christmas shopping early so I can stay on my budget! Then I help my dad do the last minute stuff. I only one more person to get something for and we'll be done :-)
3. When do you turn on your heat?
When it starts getting too cold to sleep comfortably I turn it on low...like 60ish. But it has to be getting cold for a week straight, not just a day or so.
4. Do you ever wish your blog was private?
Yes and no. I think because it's not I monitor what I write better. But if it was private, then what would be the point of having one?
5. Do you put your deodorant on before of after you put on your shirt?
After...if I put it on before, I usually end up with it on the outside of my shirt.
And that's all folks! I'm off of here to finish some more school work...and hopefully talk my husband into getting the Christmas decorations out of the attic!