Friday, November 30, 2007

Revelations

Revelations is the conclusion of the Christian bible and includes a description of the return of Christ. Many numerical and other symbolizing is used throughout this book. Some of the things that caught my attention while reading revelations was the verses that are now sometimes in songs. 1: 8 calls God the alpha and Omega, who is and who was and who is to come. Then in 4:8, "Holy, Holy Holy is the Lord God Almighty...." And 22:13 "I am the Alpha, Omega...Beginning and End."

Revelations is a darker side of the bible in some ways. The judgment day can either be viewed as intimidating and dark, or as magnificent and bright. To me the most impressive image of this book is envisioning every single creature and person bending their knee and worshiping Him. The reason people may see this as dark is that they may be condemned to Hell. Some of the descriptions in this book make the coming of God seem more like the end of the world. I think of the movie Armageddon whenever I read and think about revelations...

And lastly, my favorite verse of revelations is 21: 4. "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." I love this verse not only because it declares that the way today's world is will not be but also because at my poppy's funeral the person who did the eulogy wrote a poem. In this poem towards the end it discussed how my poppy loved to do wood work and random stuff like that and how he had joined God to make the mansion a better place for my grandma...This verse is very special to me, the new Jerusalem will have a place for my family that my poppy had a hand in....

No comments:

Post a Comment