Tuesday, November 13, 2007

James

James is another letter in Paul's collection. This letter mainly focuses on obeying the law/scripture and actually living a Christian life instead of just claiming to be Christians. Paul initially makes a point to say to listen, speak slowly, and even more slowly be angered. But then Paul furthers it to say act upon what you listen to from the scriptures...The whole letter seems to be facing trials and temptations and how to deal with them.

My favorite section of this letter is in chapter 4. The Boasting About Tomorrow section is something my parents quite frequently use with me (verses 13-17). "...Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes..." This section (including prior to and after the quoted section) remind me of the serenity prayer. This prayer is not only my favorite prayer but is also my fathers and his mother's favorite prayer. Learning that there are certain things in life that just don't matter and that you shouldn't worry about because you can't control them is difficult. My parents always remind me that tomorrow is not guaranteed-and so does Garth Brooks in his song "If Tomorrow Never Comes..." This concept is so true. We bustle and hustle throughout life and forget to stop and enjoy it and actually do God's will. Part of this is cultural-but I really think that our society should stop and read/listen/take to heart this passage of the bible...

No comments:

Post a Comment