Saturday, October 20, 2007

2 Corinthians

2 Corinthians is another of Paul's letters. This letter discusses forgiveness, covenants, his personal hardships and ministry, and basically serves as a critique of the church in Corinth.

This book of the bible has always struck me as being sort of chastising. However, Paul does this in a very loving way. My favorite verse of this book is 1:3-4. "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."

This verse is especially important to me right now because my grandpa may not even live through the next week. By knowing that God will comfort me and use others to comfort me, I know that it'll all work out for the best. But in general this verse plays an important part in my life. I think comforting one another is a very important aspect of community. Handling problems alone isn't easy and God didn't intend for us to conquer it all by ourselves. I think that this aspect of comfort is part of friendship. We definitely comfort our friends when something happens-a death, a break up, a fight, stress, graduate school...And I love that Paul firstly points this out in his letter prior to critiquing the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment