Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Luke 10-24

These passages hold a lot of teachings and advice. The "end" of Jesus' life is also discussed. Much is repeated from Matthew and Mark.

In Luke 10:25-37 the parable of the good Samaritan is expressed. This parable has always been heavily portrayed in Sunday school and church. My struggle with this passage is how to apply it to today's society. As a female-it is unsafe to stop on the side of the road and help a homeless person or someone whose car has broken down. And yes, there are other ways of helping these people-and I do these things. But what about in my everyday life?? I pass a smoker and hold my breath. I pass someone who smells and move farther away. Jesus isn't talking about the people I bend over backwards to help on a daily basis, but rather the random person we encounter who needs a pick me up. This pick me up could be a physical need, an emotional need, or a spiritual need. The smokers that I pass and the unclean people I pass are the ones that may need me more than I'll ever know. Whenever I read this parable I think of the chain email that gets sent out randomly about the boy cleaning out his locker. He's carrying a stack of books home, so his parents won't have to once he kills himself. A friend offers to help him and they develop a beautiful friendship. The boy then turns into Valedictorian and in his speech shares his story with the entire class. One random act of kindness saved a life. In a way, this chain email is The Parable of the Good Samaritan. I think I should read this every day until it is a part of my life to help at least one person I don't know a day.

The next verse I would like to point out is a small verse, but incredibly significant to me. Luke 12: 7 describes how the hairs on my head are numbered. This just shows how amazing God is. I lose hair daily when I wash it, brush it, play with it...yet every moment of the day God knows how many are on my scalp. I find this amazing...

Luke 12:22 is one of my absolute favorites in the bible. Do not worry. Three words I have difficulty putting into practice. So many things happen in a day-and in a lifetime. How am I not suppose to worry about grad schools?? or my grandpa who is incredibly ill?? I don't know how, but I know Im not suppose to-which is one step in the right direction...

I feel like Im writing in little segments, but this is sort of how the bible is written. At the end of chapter 12, it discusses interpreting times... I find it interesting that while I mentioned above how the parables were suppose to be interpreted in today's society, I then come across this passage...Why has the bible become so nonimportant to some religions and people?? It seems like this is one document that will never be outdated.

Chapters 13-16 Seem to be more teachings that are greatly similar to the first two gospels...The mustard seed of faith, the cost of being a disciple...The parables of the Lost sheep, coin, and son seem to be an addition and is also heavily related to the old testament...It seems like the middle, or the meat, of Luke holds a great amount of teachings that we still use today.

The last thing I want to point out is how similar, yet different Luke is from the first two gospels. There is the prediction, the betrayal by Judas, the Last Supper, Jesus praying, the arrest, the denial by pater, the mocking, and the crucifixion/resurrection. One of the big differences I see, however, is in Luke 23: 34. Jesus asks for God to forgive us because we know not what we do... This is differnt than what is in the first two gospels. But this powerful line is repeated in churches everywhere...Luke seems to make the whole experience come to life. We even are able to witness the appearance to the disciples after the resurrection along with the ascension. It is no wonder that this gospel is the most read during Christmas-it is less factual history and more of an actual story...

No comments:

Post a Comment